- 1 cup (250 ml) whole milk (3.25% m.f.)
- 1 cup (250 ml) whipping cream (35% m.f.)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 10 ounces (280 g) dark chocolate tablets (about 60% cocoa)
Seared cranberries with maple syrup and cardamom
- 1/3 cup 80 ml) maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) ground cardamom
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen cranberries, previously thawed
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 Tsps. (30 ml) orange juice
Pistachios with lightly salted maple
- 1 cup (250 ml) pistachios
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) of fleur de sel
- Pour the chocolate tablets into a high rimmed container.
- In a saucepan, bring milk, cream and half of the sugar to a boil.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks and the rest of the sugar. While whisking, pour the boiling liquid over the yolks to gradually cool them.
- Return to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula until the cream covers the back of the spoon or reaches a temperature of 84 °C (183.3 °F).
- Pass the cream through a fine sieve directly onto the chocolate tablets and let stand 1 minute. Using an immersion blender, blend the cream mixture and chocolate.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly in contact with the cream and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- In a skillet, heat the maple syrup and cardamom over high heat to lightly caramelize the syrup.
- Add cranberries and cook for about 2 minutes or until fruits begin to burst.
- Remove from heat and add zest and orange juice.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients well and pour on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 150 °C (300 °F) for 12 to 15 minutes or until pistachios are well caramelized.
- Using a pastry bag or spoon dipped in hot water, place the chocolate cream on each plate.
- Add the seared cranberries and a little baking syrup.
- Garnish with a few caramelized pistachios.