Back to the list
Seared Tuna, Sweet & Sour Sauce with Spices & Cranberry
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fine sugar
- 3 branches of a star of Badiane (anise star)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 cups (500 ml) brown veal stock
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) canola oil
- 1/4 lb (4 pieces) fresh tuna
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) unsalted butter
- 8 baby onions peeled and cut in half
- 1 cup (150 g) oyster mushrooms
- 8 green asparagus (blanched for 2 minutes)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chopped parsley
- Heat the sugar in a small saucepan until the formation of a blond caramel.
- Remove from heat, add spices and deglaze with apple cider vinegar.
- Bring back on a medium fire to reduce by half.
- Add the veal stock and reduce by two thirds then add the cranberries and steep out of the heat for 10 minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet over high heat.
- Pour the oil, season the pieces of tuna salt and pepper and grasp for 1 minute on each side.
- Reserve on a plate with paper towels and let stand for 1 minute.
- During this time, heat the same pan over medium heat and add the butter.
- Heat it until it is frothy and sauté the onions and mushrooms for 2 minutes then add the asparagus.
- Skip for 2 more minutes, add the chopped parsley and remove from heat.
- Reheat the sauce.
- Cut each piece of tuna in half and arrange on the plates.
- Garnish each plate with vegetables and top with the sauce.