Back to the list
30 minutes + 8 hours drying time
- 2 ¼ lb lean beef (thinly sliced)
- 1 ¾ cups dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup roasted hazelnuts
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup (250 ml) duck fat
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) cedar powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
- A day in advance, place the thin slices of meat on a rack, without overlapping.
- Heat the oven to 80 °C (175 °F) and allow the meat to dry for at least 8 hours, or long enough to make it crisp.
- The next day, using a meat grinder, chop the cranberries, hazelnuts, and sunflower seeds, delicately to avoid heating and blocking the mechanism.
- Melt the fat gently in a saucepan.
- Using a food processor, reduce the slices of dried meat to a fine powder.
- Mix the cranberry mixture and the meat dust in a large bowl.
- Pour in the fat and mix by hand to make a smooth preparation.
- Place the mixture in a shallow dish and cool in the fridge.
- When the pemmican is cold, cut into pieces and place in an airtight container to prevent it from absorbing humidity. It can also be frozen.
Perfect for long forest walks or a stroll through town.